RSS

Monday, May 16, 2011

Tell-Tale Heart Analysis

Hey everyone,

Sorry I didn't post the blog ON TIME, I just had no idea that it existed because of AP testing (I was signed out all day Friday). Had a pretty bad weekend, and it kind of sucked. Most of it related to how my parents got pissed about my APHG grades. Not only that, they took away my computer, which, to a computer addict like me, is like the ultimate form of torture. On top of that though, they said they won't give me my computer back (except for scholastic purposes) until I raise my grade in AP Human Geography. I did the math. That'll happen in approximately NEVER.

Thus, I'm gearing up for an EXTREMELY boring summer.

Ah well.

So, anyways, on to the topic of "The Tell-Tale Heart". Surprisingly, this isn't my favorite short story/poem of his. My favorites are The Masque of the Red Death, The Raven, and then it's a toss-up between "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Pit and the Pendulum".

One thing I like about it is the ambiguity, and the sense that you can't really separate fact from fiction. It's like the ending for Inception. That ambiguity make it really interesting to interpret. I think the guy was insane. If you have to affirm to people that you're not crazy, you're probably nuts. I also think he did really kill the guy, and that he is probably (a) in a trial or (b) trying to explain what he did to a warden or inmate in the prison. If he's in a trial, it shows his proud and arrogant nature, because he's trying to prove himself sane even if it'll add to his sentence.

So, that's my take on it. Comments?

--Noah SS

Words of the Week(that's right, this week there's two):

gabelle
n. - tax on salt.

sciolism
n. - pretence to wisdom; conceit due to it. sciolist, n. sciolistic, adj.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Noah Suárez-Sikes 2010. Okay, I'm lying, but if you steal this, no homework help. BAM!. Powered by Blogger.

The Almighty HIT COUNTER!